Mr. Borger, who is completely blind in his right eye and can only detect light from his left eye, was unaware of the high danger of the chemicals he’d been asked to work with. He was not wearing protective eyewear.
Clinical Professor Stephanie Watson from the Sydney Eye Hospital, said many young workers in particular don’t fully understand the dangers of working with chemicals and are unaware of the need to wear protective eyewear. She is calling on eye care professionals to advise their patients on the importance of eye safety.
She said even though Mr. Borger’s eyes were irrigated immediately after the incident, the alkali had penetrated into the eyeball because of its high pressure as it exited the beer lines. Professor Watson said “Alkali is worse than acid because it penetrates the eye, whereas acid sits on the surface.
“Fortunately accidents like this are not too common, but each accident is one too many – the people affected are losing sight,” said Professor Watson.
“There is a role for all eye care providers to make patients aware that eye protection is needed.”