ODMA 2015, in Brisbane for the second time, attracted 4,909 visits from 2,949 unique visitors over the three-day event, comparable to the last fair in 2013.
The number of retailers who travelled from NSW and Victoria increased on figures from 2013.
The day by day results were:
As well as a strong visitor presence, Finola Carey, CEO of ODMA said, “Exhibitor feedback has also been strong, with feedback that new accounts were opened and new customers have seen strong sales”.
Six hundred members of the industry attended the ODMA gala event to enjoy award-winning food and wine, world-class entertainment and witness the ‘Awards of Excellence’ that recognise the best fashion, innovation and technology in the industry.
ODMA 2015 Awards of Excellence Winners
- Women’s optical frames: Eyes Right Optical
- Men’s optical frames: LOGO Australia
- Women’s sunglasses: Fritz Frames
- Men’s sunglasses: Bollé
- Children’s frames: Aviva Optical
- Sports eyewear: Maui Jim
- Lens design: HOYA Lens Australia
- Lens treatment/coating: Shamir
- Equipment: Device Technologies
- Product environment: Essilor Australia
Rep of the Year Award Winners
- NSW & ACT: Roslyn Boland, Rodenstock
- QLD & NT: Bonnie Smith, Maui Jim
- VIC, TAS & SA: Gary Jones, HOYA Lens Australia
- WA: Natalie Alcock, Eyes Right Optical
- NZ: Vineet Chauhan, Essilor
Best Stand Award Winners
- Best Large Stand: Eyes Right Optical
- Best Small Stand: LBJ Optical
- Best Small Modular Stand: Black Lilly Imports
All Education and Fun
Education was a strong feature of ODMA Fair with 12 world-class speakers presenting 13 CPD sessions on a broad range of topical industry subjects. Eight masterclasses were presented over three days in a mezzanine seminar room overlooking the exhibition. These interactive sessions were offered to both practitioners and staff, with the main focus being dispensing and business.
The number of retailers who travelled from NSW and Victoria increased on figures from 2013…
Twenty-two educational Spotlight Sessions covered topics that included blue light technology, vocational lenses, and using the Eyetalk app and a ‘Speed Dating to find a Succession Partner’ gave practitioners the opportunity to find their perfect match for a partner to join their practice.
With an aim to inspire practitioners and staff to think differently about their windows, this year ODMA 2015 designed and built six unique window displays using the visual merchandiser ‘Through the Looking Glass’.
On Saturday 4 July, ODMA 2015 turned the traditional US Independence Day into Independents Day – a day to celebrate the freedom of the Independent retailer and acknowledge the industry’s champions. Visitors were welcomed into the exhibition halls by a jazz band and cheerleaders. There was a fun, ‘Superbowl’ feel from start to finish, with an old-fashioned diner and milkshake bar in place for US-style refreshments.