At the General Optical Integrated Supply Chain Solution Launch on 23 April, Peter Lewis presented General Optical’s new Integrated Supply Chain (ISC) strategy which will commence to roll out across independent optometry practices in Australia and New Zealand from early May 2010.
The CEO of Marchon, Claudio Gottardi, was a star appearance at the launch. Mr. Gottardi gave high praise to Genop’s ISC strategy, calling it the “solution for the future”.
The ISC strategy which General Optical (Genop) is hoping independent optometrists will choose to adopt, utilises the proprietary assets of Genop to achieve an efficient, cost effective operating solution to allow independent optometrists to build a successful and sustainable business focused on vision care.
So far every practice that has adopted this sunglass program has had amazing results and have generated extra revenue that they didn’t have before… even without marketing!
“Our main aim is to support independent optometry, to add value to their businesses, to do something different, and to be able to be competitive in the future. We believe we can to assist them to build successful businesses in every way.”
According to Mr. Lewis, “the practice performance of an independent optometrist is greatly enhanced when connected to an ISC”. This, he says, is due to:
- Convenience and simplicity of operation
- Margin improvement
- Greater inventory control
- Increased staff productivity
- Improved practice attraction for existing and potential patients
- Increased time to focus on patient relationships and clinical eyecare
Explaining how this process would work, Mr. Lewis said: “the optical practice will use our (ISC) practice management system to order frames and lenses from General Optical who will then process the lenses and then fit these to the frames, and then sends these back to the optical practice.
“This is all done electronically and can be tracked online.”
Mr. Lewis explained that GenOp supports the new ISC business model with a range of features:
- State of the art IT systems
- Automated logistics processes for ordering frames and lenses
- Automated inventory management
- Automated ordering and tracking technologies
- Latest practice design and refurbishment such as new ideas to refurbish existing practices so they can compete aesthetically with competitors
- Marketing tools and programs. E.g. the Optolink online marketing tool which allows optometrists to search the frame library, send out email reminders and promotions and create their own website.
- Product and staff training
Another feature is the RX sunglass program, which offers optometrists a way to compete with the large chains by ordering the frames together with the lenses at a discounted price.
“So far every practice that has adopted this sunglass program has had amazing results and have generated extra revenue that they didn’t have before… even without marketing!”
GenOp says with the ISC it also hopes to ensure that eyecare professionals have the very best IT systems available at their disposal which will greatly improve efficiency, operational cost effectiveness and management control (e.g. the automated ordering system).
“The ISC is an opportunity to take your existing practice and grow your business from the patient base that you already have,” said Mr. Lewis.
In short, “Your success is our business”