Nominations are now open for Vision Australia’s Making a Difference Award’s 2011.
Vision Australia’s Making a Difference Awards were first held in 2006 and they now form a key part of Vision Australia’s Morning of Celebration events that are held in May.
The awards aim to recognise individuals and/or organisations that go ‘the extra mile’ in considering the needs of people who are blind or have low vision in local communities.
This year there are five categories:
- Large Business – more than 100 employees
- Small Business – less than 100 employees
- Community groups/individuals
- Education Establishments
The product recognition category was suggested by members of the blindness community as a way to acknowledge the products that have really made a significant difference in their lives.
The awards aim to recognise individuals and/or organisations that go ‘the extra mile’ in considering the needs of people who are blind or have low vision in local communities
There will be a maximum of ONE Making a Difference Award recipient from each category. Award recipients will be informed prior to the event.
In addition Vision Australia centres will have the option to present Certificates of Appreciation to nominees who are not eligible for a Making a Difference Award.
A Making a Difference Award will only be presented to a recipient if it is warranted. It is not necessary to have a winner per category at each presentation event.
What are the nomination criteria?
- Previous Making a Difference Award recipients can only be nominated again after a five year lapse.
- No Making a Difference Awards will be given to volunteers or volunteer groups as they are recognised in the volunteer recognition week. For more information about how you can nominate volunteers please speak to the volunteer coordinator at your local centre.
- No Making a Difference Awards will be given to fundraising initiatives as they are recognised by Funding and Development.
- The award recipients must go the extra mile to be eligible for a Making a Difference Award. e.g. a local council providing newsletters, publications etc in alternate formats is something that all councils should be doing so this is not really going above and beyond.
How can you nominate?
- Nominations can be made by employees of Vision Australia, Vision Australia volunteers, members of the Client Representative Council, Vision Australia clients, donors and members of the community.
- Details about the Making a Difference Campaign and the Making a Difference Awards nominations process will be made available through the internet/intranet, Vision Australia Radio, online networks and local media.
- Only completed nominations will be submitted to the panel for their consideration. Submissions or nominations without all necessary information or completed by hand will not be accepted.
- Nominations must be made using the official nomination form. Forms completed by hand or faxed will not be accepted.
Making a Difference Award nominations will be judged by a panel and category finalists will be announced on the intranet in April.
Nominations close at 5pm Thursday 17 March 2011 (strictly no nominations will be accepted after the closing date).
For more details about the 2011 Making a Difference campaign contact Megan Denyer at email@example.com (AUS) 02 9334 3308 or Carly Shedden at firstname.lastname@example.org (AUS) 03 9864 9349.