A comprehensive dispensers’ education program will run alongside the optometrists’ education program for the first time at Australian Vision Convention (AVC) in Queensland (7–8 April, 2018).The program has been accredited with 2.5 CPD (0.5 clinical points per lecture attended) by the New Zealand Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians Board.
Supported by AVC Diamond Sponsor Rodenstock, the Inaugural program will feature expert lens educators, Grant Hannaford, Steven Daras, Leigh Robinson, Helen Venturato and Nicola Peaper.
The aim of the program is to upskill dispensers on the latest lens technologies and provide patient communication strategies that will enable them to better explain the technology behind, and advantages of, premium lenses.
“Lens sales depend on dispensers – they make recommendations about the lenses and appropriate frames, so it is important for them to understand how different lenses compare with each other and how they can be customised to meet the specific needs of patients and improve vision,” said Justin Goh, Rodenstock’s Sales Support Manager. “Dispensers who can fluidly deliver these arguments to patients can help overcome cost barriers and in doing so, increase practice sales.”
Topics that will be covered across the program, which runs from 10.45am – 3.15pm on Sunday 8 April are:
• Resolving non tolerance issues with digital lenses (Nicola Peaper, sales and professional services manager, Rodenstock)
• The digital world needs digital lenses, not progressives (Steven Daras, course coordinator, optical dispensing, TAFE)
• Wham, Bam, Pow. How position of wear measurements will knock your patients out (Leigh Robinson, Consultant and Training Facilitator, Spectrum Optical)
• Dispensing to enhance sports performance (Helen Venturato, optometrist and principal consultant at Helen Venturato Consulting)
• Complex cases and compensated values (Grant Hannaford, adjunct snr lecturer at School of Optometry and Vision Science, UNSW, director, Academy of Advanced Ophthalmic Optics)
Registration is AU$50 per person and can be completed here