Essilor’s research and development team has launched a new range of Crizal lens coatings. Hard multi-coating has been at the core of the company’s products in Australia/New Zealand since their first Rx and coating lab opened in Sydney in 1989.
Made with a cluster of new technologies around anti-reflection, scratch and thermal resistance, anti-smudge and UV protection benefits, the latest range was subjected to ‘Life Proof’ testing to rigorously assess their performance.
The range draws on three key technologies:
1. 360° Multi-angular Technology: reduces reflections from both the front and back surface of the lens, whatever the direction of the light, front-on, from the sides or behind the wearer. Lenses are virtually invisible.
2. High Resistance Technology: is an innovative coating formulation that combines four specific oxides with high scratch and thermal resistance. One is used in the aerospace industry for heating shielding.
3. High Surface Density Process: produces a super hydrophobic, ultra-smooth top coat that blocks smudges with its highly effective ability to repel oil and water.
According to Essilor, these new coatings have the protection of up to 10 patents which vary across the range*.
The new Crizal coatings, available across the full range of Essilor lenses and indices, are:
Crizal Sapphire HR
Replacing Crizal Sapphire UV, Crizal Sapphire HR is the best anti-reflection coating overall1,2 due to its transparency and durability. High resistance technology means Crizal Sapphire HR is 70% more scratch resistance and has 20% more thermal resistance than previous generations and, is easy to clean. Sitting above the rest of the range, Crizal Sapphire HR is the only one with 360° Multi-angular Technology.
Replacing Crizal UV, Crizal Rock offers durability like never before3, with the best combination of scratch and smudge resistance4. Like Crizal Sapphire HR, it features High-resistance Technology for exceptional scratch and temperature resistance and is also bolstered by High Surface Density Process technology in the top coat for ease of cleaning.
Crizal EasyPro replaces Crizal Easy. This easy to clean and maintain anti-reflection coating features High Surface Density Process technology in the top coat to resist smudges and repel water for ease of cleaning.
Crizal Sapphire HR, Crizal Rock and Crizal EasyPro all have E-SPF 355 level UV protection against the invisible danger of UV. When combined with all lens materials (except clear CR39), 100% of transmitted UV is blocked and the coating’s special UV layer cuts UV rays reflected from the back lens surface.
Crizal Sun XProtect
Crizal Sun XProtect replaces Crizal Sun UV and is designed exclusively for the Essilor Xperio tinted and polarised sun lens range. Ionic shield technology is a patent pending formulation, applied by vacuum deposition, to reinforce the front surface of the sun lens for best-in-class scratch resistance and superior smudge protection, keeping Xperio sun lenses looking newer for longer.9 Crizal Sun XProtect offers E-SPF 5012 UV protection.
Highlights from Technical Tests
Essilor highlights the following technical tests undertaken on the new Crizal lenses.
New Sand Resistance Test
Sand provides a more controlled and repeatable test, and according to Essilor, provides greater capacity to discriminate between high-scratch resistant coatings than the historical Bayer test. For this test, lenses were subject to 300 shake-cycles in a sand filled tray.
Crizal Rock and Crizal Sapphire HR showed a 70% increase in scratch resistance versus Crizal UV.
Extensive Cleaning Test
Conducted by an external lab, this test aimed to replicate daily cleaning over the life of the lens. Lenses were subjected to 20,000 wipes with ink splattered on the lenses every 5,000 wipes. The new Crizal lens was identified as easiest to clean.6
Eighteen-Month Wearer Test
In a first ever 18-month test7 and with the aim to guarantee long-lasting performance, research and development experts evaluated the difference in abrasion level between Crizal Rock vs Crizal UV, worn in parallel.
After 18 months of wear, Crizal Rock was found to have superior scratch resistance over the previous generation of Crizal.8
A unique torture test was conducted on Crizal Rock that replicated daily risky situations for lenses, such as dropping glasses, improper cleaning, or impact with objects. The test was carried out in the presence of consumers and the protocol and results were certified by a legal independent third party. After a battery of wipes, rubs, shakes, drops and hits in front of a panel of observers, the independent third party certified that the lenses were in new condition, without any scratches or dents.
Third party testing, simulating up to two years of real life usage, validated that Xperio sun lenses with Crizal Sun XProtect can withstand every day wear and tear and last longer than Crizal Sun UV. Performance was more than two times better against scratches,10 with more than two times greater smudge resistance11 vs. Crizal Sun UV. Crizal Sun XProtect has a subtle gold lustre on the front surface for a fashionable, premium finish.
* Up to 10 inventions led to patent filings (which allowance/in-force status varies over time and country). May vary per Crizal coating product.
1. Based on Brand tracking 2017 – MSW – 19 countries – 16,746 eyeglass wearers, 668 Crizal wearers. Countries: Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, France, Germany, India, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States of America.
2. External laboratory tests and internal technical tests in 2020. Compared to the most known lens-brands by consumers (2019 external brand tracking in 11 countries). The word ‘overall’ refers to consumer expectations about anti-reflective coatings, ranked through a quantitative consumer study run by an external institute in 3 countries.
3. Within Crizal Range – External laboratories tests and internal technical tests in 2019 – compared to all previous generations of Crizal coatings.
4. External laboratories tests and internal technical tests in 2019. Combination here defined as the merger of 2 distinct criteria which are scratch resistance and smudge resistance – Crizal Rock rated best on smudge resistance and equal on scratch resistance, compared to the most known lenses brands by consumers (MSW brand tracking 2018 in 17 countries). Scratch resistance may vary depending on lens configuration.
5. Except clear 1.5 index: E-SPF 10. E-SPF35 can be attained when combined with Blue UV Capture on a 1.5 Index lens.
6. Based on the stain release test, amongst globally known lenses brands by consumers (MSW brand tracking 2018 in 17 countries).
7. Communicated by a lens manufacturer.
8. External laboratories test and internal technical tests in 2019, among the most known lenses brands by consumers (MSW brand tracking 2018 in 17 countries. Essilor R&D Wear test 2019 – n=48 eyeglass wearers – abrasion level on a 7 points scale, significant difference between Crizal Rock and previous generation of Crizal with statistical student test.
9. Compared against coatings from main players in the prescription sun lens market. Based on data from ISTM Bayer test and Stain Release test conducted by independent third-party laboratory, 2020.
10. Based on data from ISTM Bayer test conducted by independent third-party laboratory, 2020.
11. Based on data from Stain Release test conducted by independent third-party laboratory,2020.
12. UV Protection indicates E-SPF® 50, does not apply for Orma (1.5 index) without UVX.
More paragraph text
Table Box Title
|Table of info towards the bottom of the article. We will look to see if there is an easier way to build these for you as this is not ideal, but inherited from the old Red5 CMS|
Final information about the author